Sunday 14 July 2013

OPI 'Glacier Bay Blues' swatch

Well, as predicted, the bow in my previous mani fell off fairly quickly resulting in a ruined nail. It happened in the toilet of a restaurant I was at with family today, so I was not best pleased!

However, this means I can now legitimately paint my nails again without feeling like I'm wasting polish - yay!

Today I decided to use OPI 'Glacier Bay Blues' as the base for a more complex mani (which I'll post later), and as it's considered a very rare polish I thought it was worth doing a separate swatch post.

I bought this polish a couple of years ago when I started to become interested in nail polish, and have only used it a couple of times since. After today I remember why - it really is an AWFUL formula!

This is from the OPI 2004 Canadian collection and features their old formula (e.g. not 'big 3' free) and the old, thin brush. I do miss the pro-wide brush!

In direct sunlight
This a green and blue /purple (or blurple) duochrome. It's really hard to capture the effect it has on the nail, but you can probably see the two tones in the bottle in my pictures - this is how it actually looks on the nail.

As I mentioned previously it's a terrible formula - very watery and streaky, and it takes aggggges to dry between coats. I had to apply four coats to get the opacity you see in these pictures.

with flash in shade
If it wasn't for the scarcity of this polish I would probably sell it to be honest - but as it sells for upwards of £20 these days I think I'll hold on to it and hope it increases further in value ;)

indirect sunlight
What do you think, do you like the duochrome effect? Is it worth the pain of the poor formula?

Keep tuned for my next blog post to see how I use this as the base for a saran wrap mani :)

fx

4 comments:

  1. It looks quite good, sad that it stains. I have just red the other day how some of the OPI's are pretty rare good idea to hold on to it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they'll ever reach hundreds or even thousands in value - that would be awesome :)

      Delete
  2. This reminds me of my most hated enemy polish... OPI's Significant Other Color. It's just like this! Beautiful duochrome in the bottle, terribly thin and watery disappointment on the nails! Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I agree it's a horrible polish - but I do like layering it as a top coat like in this mani here

      http://fionasfingertips.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/opi-anti-bleak-and-significant-other.html

      I think that's what I'll use it for in the future!!!

      Delete